Do I need a Visa enter a new country?
Yes you do. We recommend you to get a visa to enter the new country from the embassy of that particular country in your home country. If you do not get your visa before you arrive, you can easily get a visa and filling the short application form at the international airports or one of land border crossings. To get a tourist visa costs around $50-$100. All Visas are to be paid in dollars / Euros upon entry. You will need two passport pictures with you.
What do I do if my flight gets delayed?
If there is any change earlier or at last-minute, we should get informed right away. If we will not get informed in time, you will have to arrange your own transportation to Arusha. Shuttles and taxes are available at the airport. Just give us a call upon your arrival and we will connect you.
Will Zohar guide or representative meet me at the airport?
Yes. Please send us your flight details at least 2-3 weeks prior to your arrival date. You will meet our representative holding a Zohar sign with your name in the public area outside customs
What do I do if my luggage arrives late or get lost?
If your luggage arrives late or get lost, you will need to fill a lost luggage form and give to the Zohar representative who will follow up and bring the luggage to you at the hotel later when it arrives.
How long is from the airport to the hotel?
This depends on the choice of your lodge, but normally the drive is within 30min-1hr. Some lodges are close, some are far.
What vaccines you recommend me to get in advance my trip to Africa?
We recommend you make contact with your doctor or a travel clinic, and seek advice from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) online at least 5-6 weeks earlier to your arrival in Africa to get the basic inoculations within the necessary time period before your arrival date. Regular vaccines for African travel include protection against;influenza, mumps and rubella, chickenpox, measles, diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus and polio. To make sure you are safe to travel to any country in Africa you need hepatitis A and B, yellow fever and typhoid vaccines. Yellow fever certificate is very important in sub-Sahara African countries. There is no vaccine to fight against malaria so consult your doctor or travel clinic to prescribe the specific anti-malaria medication. We recommend you bring the pills with you and begin taking them before, during and following your travel to Africa. In high elevations, you can get altitude sickness like dizziness, headache or become weak so to avoid this please make sure your physician has prescribed protective measures or medications for these kind of sickness. Diarrhea is so common to foreign visitors so please don't forget to bring some antibiotics prescribed by your doctor.
What are the major health risks in Africa?
If you are careful and follow good health protocol, there is no any health risk in Africa. Sexual Transmitted Diseases including HIV AIDS is widespread. Your own behavior or using of condom will protect you from this.
Is there safe water to drink?
Bottled water is always safe water to drink, so bottled water is highly recommended. Do not drink tap water because the water may be contaminated. Bottle water can be purchased within the lodge you get accommodated, restaurants or shops around you. We provide safe mineral water throughout the program.
What type of travel insurance is recommended?
We recommend travel insurance as well as trip cancellation insurance. These insurance will keep you safe in case of any emergency. Your travel agent can recommend you to a better travel insurance or trip cancellation Insurance. Medical Evacuation Insurance is covered in your safari fee.
Which currency is accepted?
The local currency. You can exchange money and get the local currency in banks, airport bureau change or the bureau change around town. US dollars or Euros are accepted in hotels, large supermarket and shops. ATM machines are placed in all airports or around town.
What is the current exchange rate?
Currency conversion rates keep changing every day. Different denominations return different rates in TSH. US $50 and 100bills always get the best exchange rates.
Can I use cash, credit cards, or checks?
Most of the places accept cash only. You can use major credit cards in some big shops and hotels. Checks are not accepted widely. If you bring cash, it will be a lot easier to get whatever you want.
How much money do I need to come with?
The amount of money you should carry depends on your personal expenses. The lodging, transportation and food will be covered in your safari fee.
What differentiate a camp from a lodge?
Lodge Accommodations are permanent accommodation and are situated in beautiful areas outside the big towns and cities while camps are temporary accommodation mostly located inside the parks.
What is the local food?
The common local food are potatoes, chicken, rice, pasta, corn meal (ugali), beans, various green vegetables, eggs, and seasonal fruits. Detailed special diet must be communicated upon the booking.
Can I use my iPhone while on safari?
Yes. You should unlock your iPhone (if locked) before you leave for your safari and just buy a SIM card for around $2 as soon as you arrive. The local SIM card will enable you to communicate locally and internationally (make calls; send text messages, read emails, etc.)
What communication technologies do you propose I should bring?
Unlocked phone, Camera, binocular and tablet.
What kind of camera do you recommend I bring?
For clear and comprehensible pictures in the bush long fixed lens camera is recommended. Small camera is okay for normal pictures like view of the city, market etc. All these technologies can be bought while in Africa but the price may be two times more in the US or UK.
What kind of binoculars do you recommend I bring?
For exceptional views take an Alpen 10 x 42, for very good views, take an Alpen 8 x 42. Our guides normally carry their personal binoculars (1-2), so if you are travelling individually/2 you can use guide’s binoculars.
What kind of electrical powers are used in Africa (East Africa)?
A converter (220V) is needed when you bring any electrical appliance. Square plug power adapters are highly recommended. Most of the electrical outlets in East Africa are similar used in the UK.
Are Zohar guides professional?
Yes. They have 10-25 years experience in the field. They are extremely knowledgeable about the flora and fauna, diverse culture of Africa, mountain trekking and geography. They are certified in first-aid and receive first-aid training annually. They also receive different trainings based on their field 3times a year to make sure they attend customers perfectly.
How long will Zohar guide be with us?
Definitely yes, the safari guide is committed to be available to the guests whenever they need him, both day and night while on safari or around town.
How much should I tip a guide?
We do not have fixed amount to tip a guide. Tips are gratitude for a great service and work. Most of the guests tip $15-$20 per personal per day but you can even tip $50 per day depends on how happy that person made you.
Are there more activities to do apart from game viewing? Are there special activities for children too?
In all safari packages we design we normally blend three different activities in the package, the activities include game viewing, cultural adventures and recreational activities like walking, biking, canoeing and village tours. There also historical and archeological site visits. For the children, we have different activities based on children’s age and interests. We have balls and Frisbees and other games that children can play with other children or just alone. Cultural visits make children remain active since they can engage themselves in to different cultural activities for example chanting and dancing, collecting firewoods, and hunting for small game etc. All of these activities make a true family safari experience with lots of fun and everlasting memories.
How many people are in a safari jeep?
There are 2 types of safari jeeps. One type is an extended jeep with 7 window seats and normal size land cruiser jeeps with 5 window seats. Every seat in the jeep has a large clear window that opens. All jeeps have roof that opens so guests can stand and have a clear look to every direction.
Is safe to travel in Africa?
Yes it is. Your safety is highest priority. Upon arrival, our guide will brief you in all the safe measures while you are with us or in Africa. Our safari jeeps have more than 1 spare tire and first-aid kits in case problem or sudden sickness or injury. The "Flying Doctors, are available to rescue incase of serious sickness or injury.
How long does it take to drive to Ngorongoro Crater from Arusha?
Roughly 3 hours.
What is the most excellent time to visit the Serengeti?
Anytime is the best time! The Great Migration takes place all year long as animals continuously migrate to areas to find fresh, nourishing grazing.
I love getting near to animals but I’m so scared of wild animals…will they hurt me?
Our guides are professionally trained to know how close you can get to the diverse species of wild animals that live in the African bush. You are not advised to get outside the jeep while in the bush and if it happens you get outside the jeep you must be very close to the jeep. Silence and less movement are highly needed when wild animals are close not to scare the animals away. Wild animal can get inches close to the jeep, at this moment you are advised to close your window and remain silent while watching them through the open roof of your jeep.
Can I feed the animals in the national park?
Feeding the animals inside the park is strictly prohibited. Feeding them may destroy the natural habitat and eco-system.